- What's New?
- About Us
- Our People
- National President
- Chief Commissioner
- Chairman, NEC
- National Chief Executive
- International Commissioner
- National Commissioner Youth Program
- National Commissioner, Adult Training and Development; Principal, SAIT
- National Adviser for Environment
- National Adviser - National Youth Council and National Forums
- National Adviser for Special Needs
- Deputy Principal (Adventurous Activities) SAIT
- Deputy Principal (Academic) SAIT
- National Office Staff
- Mission, Aim & Principles
- Organisation Chart
- National Management
- Annual Report
- Brand Manual, Digital Guidelines & Logos
- National Advertising
- Famous Scouts
- Contact Us
- Our People
- Join the Adventure!
- Joey Scouts (6-7)
- Cub Scouts (*8-10)
- Scouts (*11-14)
- Venturer Scouts (*15-17)
- Rover Scouts (18-25)
- Adult volunteers
- Former Scouts
- Scouts Australia Institute of Training (SAIT)
- International Scouting
- Scouting & the Environment
- Environment Partners & Events
- World Scout Environment Badge
- Environment Charter
- Scout Environment Weeks
- Resources & Links
- Environment Competitions & Projects
- News, Info and Links
- National Projects & Partners
- Lord Baden-Powell Society
- National Youth Program
- Award Schemes
- National Rover Council
- National Youth Council
- Scouts Australia Undertakes A Youth Program Review
- Scouts of the World Award
- 2014 Mawson Scholarship Application Forms Now Open!
- AV2015 - 16th Australian Venture
- Calling all Leaders of Youth! We need your help with improving our publications!
- Resources & Information for Members
- Product & Publication Catalogue
- Online Library
- Youth Voice
- Leader Resources
- Award Schemes & Badge Diagrams
- Get Connected
- Rovering Towards 2020
- Scout Wiki
- Scouts Oz App
- Donations & Payments
- Photo Galleries
- BTC - Bullying, it's not part of Scouting
Neville Tomkins, OAM, JP, BA (Hons), MAICD, AIMM
Neville has been International Commissioner of Scouts Australia since July 2010. He was previously Chief Commissioner of ACT Scouts for nearly nine years. As Chief Commissioner of the ACT Branch, Neville led a successful reform program to arrest the decline in membership and to achieve real growth. Always aware of the safety of the young people in Scouting’s care, Neville was instrumental in developing and implementing the ACT Branch Child Protection Policy.
Neville has also taken various initiatives to raise the profile of Scouting and to establish strong links with the Federal and ACT Governments, as well as with businesses and the community. He led the rebuilding of Camp Cottermouth following its near destruction by fire in 2003.
As International Commissioner, Neville’s vision is “An International Experience for All Members of Scouts Australia”. In so doing, he has initiated and is leading an exciting reform program for International Scouting.
Neville was a member of the Adults in Scouting Strategic Review Team (2004 & 2005), and a Member of the World Events Bid Team (2005). He has been a Trustee of The Arthur Shakespeare Foundation for Scouting since 2002 and Vice-President since 2010.
Neville was a Scout in his youth and was the youngest person ever to be awarded the Green Cord in Queensland.
In addition to his volunteer role with Scouts Australia, Neville has been a Justice of the Peace (ACT) since 1982, is a life time blood donor (he recently received the Red Cross 250th Donation Medallion) and is a White Ribbon Ambassador for Women and Children.
Neville was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) in 2010 by the Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia for “service to the community, particularly through leadership roles in the Scouting movement”. He was awarded the Silver Wattle in 2011. He was awarded the Sir Vincent Fairfax Scholarship in 2010. He spent 6 weeks studying International best practice in Scouting in the United Kingdom, Finland, Belgium, Switzerland, Canada and the USA.
Neville graduated from the ANU with a Bachelor of Arts with Honours (First Class) and with the University Prize. He has been a Senior Executive with the Commonwealth Public Service for 23 years and is currently First Assistant Secretary, People Solutions, Department of Defence with a responsibility for 700 staff, and for helping to shape a new organisational culture. His responsibilities account for over $10 billion in expenditure. He has received Awards for leadership in the Commonwealth Public Service.
Neville is a member of the Australian Institute of Management, the Commonwealth Association of Public Administration and Management and the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
Neville is married to Jenny and they have three children, Katy, Sarah and Matthew.